Benefits of children starting golf
1. Anyone Can Play: One doesn’t have to be lean, strong, or fast to play golf. Golf champions come in all shapes and sizes. Unlike most other sports, you can enjoy golf your entire life and it’s never too early to start!
2. Minimal Risk: Golf is a noncontact sport. The chances of injury, especially serious ones, are very minimal.
3. Safe and Positive Environment: The golf course is a safe place and facilitates relationship development. Golf helps teach right from wrong in a supportive environment.
4. Lifelong Friendships: You never know who you will meet on a golf course. It’s one of the easiest places in the world to make friends as everyone has that common thread. Golf helps foster a unique bond so those friendships can be developed all over the world and last a lifetime! These are the people you want your kids hanging out with!
5. Prepare for Business: It’s hard to think about it now, but kids grow up and the people they meet as children can play a huge part in their success later in life. Golf is a sport that helps prepare kids and teens for careers in business and other professional arenas. As I mentioned earlier, I was learning about real-life business every day from all the adults at the age of 13 that I played with.
6. Spend Time Outdoors: In today’s world of video games and smart phones, child obesity is a concern nationwide and it can be hard to drag your son or daughter out of the house. Golf is the perfect excuse to spend an entire day enjoying nature and presents the opportunity to develop healthy, lifelong exercise habits!
7. Important Life Lessons: Golf closely parallels real life. The range of experience, from birdies to bogeys, from good shots to bad, rewards a young person’s ability to keep each shot and each round in perspective, manage one’s emotions, maintain a positive outlook and focus on the shot at hand. A child will learn integrity, discipline and respect. As they learn to conduct themselves on the golf course, these lessons will translate directly into everyday life.
8. Scholarships: Golf can open doors academically as they persevere and improve their game. Scholarships are out there to help advance their education.
9. Family Time: Golf is a game that encourages family participation. Golf is an opportunity for quality bonding time, and it’s one that can last a lifetime.
10. FUN: One of the best reasons to get your child, son or daughter, involved with golf is that they’ll have an absolute blast. It’s a chance to learn new skills, both physical and mental, make new friends and discover new opportunities.